Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

Back to it

Hello all. I've been neglecting blogging again. I am finding that I don't always feel like I have much to say and am more content to read others. Even the comments drop off. But I am often lurking.

I have been trying out a martial art called Wing Chun, it's  a form of kung fu. A friend from work is well into it and suggested the taster sessions. I have always had trouble with coordination and it has not improved with age. As a child I would tap perfectly with my right foot but my left could not join in and would regularly trip me up. I soon hung up my tap shoes. In adulthood the step aerobic teacher seemed to think I  was clowning about when I fell of the step. I wasn't I  just could not coordinate stepping and arm exercises. Wing chun has been no different so far. Still it's a different sort of exercise and it's not every day you can legitimately punch a work colleague.
It is a form of close range combat and is very alien to me. I wondered if that is because I am female and have been programmed into non aggression. Not that anyone is aggressive, it is very contained and disciplined. But I think you know what I  mean. I have never seen a martial art film, I've not even seen a James Bond or Rambo film. The attacks and blocks do hurt and that may be the undoing of me rather than the lack of coordination. Also I see a steely glint in the mens eyes and a look of determination that is totally lacking in mine.
Although week 3 of this little martial art adventure saw me punching the pads with a degree of accuracy and pleasure that was lacking before...so who knows.

Take care x


4 comments:

  1. Hello m'dear.....have you considered Tai Chi, and before ye ask no I havn't tried it but since hitting 50 this year it does seem to have a certain appeal to my aching and very uncoordinated body...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. It always looks a bit slow although I know nothing about it. I used to get bored in yoga which stressed me and defeated it ha. It's an idea tho. X

      Delete
  2. I bet Newcastle wish they'd got Bilic. (I wondered where you were).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's made life intrresting. I hope this season is good, it's our last at the boleyn.
      I've been enjoying your holiday posts, the photos are beautiful. I may drop off from the blogs now and again but will always be back. If not will email as have it saved x

      Delete